WITH YOU*TH towards an active citizenship
The aim of the project is to promote gender equality as a part of the teaching towards democratic culture and equality of all people. The systematic change will be the procurement of gender equality as a component of educational curriculum, which will be achieved by the partnership of public administration and NGOs. Within this project the professional schooling platform will be created and it will pursue principles of gender equality in civic education in the strategic documents. The part of the project will be also a campaign about promoting active citizenship carried out by youth, and a sociological research of needs of young people.
The project will be realized by: Genderové informační centrum NORA, NESEHNUTÍ, Sociologický ústav AV ČR, Česká ženská lobby
The problem and its causes:
The gender equality is inevitable component of the civic education, but the recent form does not pay attention to it enough. Although the gender equality is embedded in the strategic documents of the educational politics (e. g. Education Act), it is not projected into the everyday school practise. The current situation has a few causes:
- During formation of the educational strategies the gender equality is not a priority, thus not enough space is given to its implementation
- There are no methodical approaches how to incorporate it to formal, informal or latent curriculum
- The findings of scientific discussion are not carried into practise
- There is no wider public discussion concerning this topic
- There is a discrepancy between the needs of young people and the way how media and political representation approach the gender equality
- Young people are not perceived as relevant communicative partners and their needs are belittled
Not solving this problem will negatively influence the participation of young people in the building of democratic society. If young people do not perceive their gender identity as equal to the other identities, they will not feel as a part of civic society, and if they are unable to reflect in which contexts the gender inequality arise in the society, they can keep down the rights and freedoms of others because of the unawareness of it, or they can become the target of such an injustice.
The project is being supported by the Open Society Fund Prague from the Active Citizens Fund. The programme promotes citizens' active participation in the public life and decision making and builds capacities of civil society organizations. The Active Citizens Fund is financed from the EEA and Norway Grants.
Program Active Citizens Fund: https://www.activecitizensfund.cz/
The EEA Grants and Norway Grants: https://eeagrants.org/
OSF Prague: https://osf.cz/
Committee of Good Will - Olga Havel Foundation: https://www.vdv.cz/
Czech Scouting Institute: https://www.skautskyinstitut.cz/